Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oh what an exciting day.

Yesterday morning I was trying to get out the door to get Kaylynn to school, normally we are out the door at 8am, but I am so glad we did not, at about 8:03am the phone rang, it was my brother Stuarts cell on the caller ID, I thought maybe he was on break and calling to say hi, nope! I could barely hear him, I had to ask twice, "what are you saying" finally I heard him, please come, a beam fell on me. He works for a steel company.
David was still here at the house, I yelled to him what happened and that he had the girls, felt like it took me forever to get there even though his job is right behind us, well there are woods between us, I have never broke the speed limit but yesterday I did, they had men posted at several places waiting on the ambulance so I was directed to where he was, they had already moved him by the time I got there, he was in a office shaking so bad he could hardly talk, all he kept saying was how bad he hurt, I heard the sirens for the ambulance coming as I had gotten out of my car, so I knew it would not be long before they got there.
They told me it was his shoulder and I pulled back the collar on his shirt, it looked bad, bruised, bleeding and appeared to be broken, I did not care who was in the room, I immed. started praying for him, no broken bones in the name of Jesus! EMT's got there and looked him over and now I could here what happened, the beam was on a crane and it shifted in weight and started headed for him, it hit his hard hat first and then slammed into his shoulder knocking him down, his hard hat saved his life! Praise the Lord for plastic.
They looked him over and asked him if he wanted to go by ambulance to the hospital or I could take him, he said he wanted me to take him, they put him in my car told me not to speed but to drive smmoth, no bumps, I was like ok, where I just drove through to get to him is all dirt and potholes, but I did good and did not make him yell in pain, just kept talking to him to keep his mind off the pain, we got to the hospital, the EMT's must have radioed ahead because they took him on back, by the time we got there his wife was already at the hospital, I waited in that waiting room for hours, I knew he would be in x-ray, and he had to have a drug/alcohol test since it was a work related accident, of course he passed those. Fianlly I went to the desk to ask how he was, and I was allowed to go back, we waited on his x-rays and finally they came back NO BROKEN BONES! He does have a really bad bruised ligament and will have to see the orthopedic docter on Friday morning before he can be released to go back to work.
What a day I am telling you there is never a dull moment around here.

1 comment:

Lanie said...

Wow. Just yesterday he was working at the skating rink and going on his first date. What was he THINKIKNG growing up so fast???

I'm glad he's well and safe.